What’s the difference between alcohol abuse and alcoholism. This is a common question. It can be very confusing when you hear terms like alcohol abuse, substance abuse, alcoholism, and addiction. What’s the difference? In this video, Dr. KJ Foster explains the difference between these terms as it relates to substance use disorders in general.
💜Subscribe to my channel HERE: http://bit.ly/drkjfoster
Here is a list of the 11 criteria used to diagnose a substance use disorder (2-3 = mild, 4-5 = moderate and 6+ = severe):
1)Taking the substance in larger amounts or for longer than you’re meant to.
2) Wanting to cut down or stop using the substance but not managing to.
3) Spending a lot of time getting, using, or recovering from use of the substance.
4) Cravings and urges to use the substance.
5) Not managing to do what you should at work, home, or school because of substance use.
6) Continuing to use, even when it causes problems in relationships.
7) Giving up important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of substance use.
8) Using substances again and again, even when it puts you in danger.
9) Continuing to use, even when you know you have a physical or psychological problem that could have been caused or made worse by the substance.
10) Needing more of the substance to get the effect you want (tolerance).
11) Development of withdrawal symptoms, which can be relieved by taking more of the substance.
As mentioned in the video, here is a link to an article that discusses the criteria for diagnosing a substance use disorder in more detail https://bit.ly/SUDarticle
To get on the list for Dr. KJ Foster’s new book “Fostering Resilience for the Family in Recovery” click the following link:
Click the Link Below and Receive my Free 7-Day Family Recovery Training video series👇
To Gain Access to the entire Warrior Resource Library, a self-help library containing over 100 videos, audios, power points, workbooks, worksheets, and meditations, Click the Link Below👇
This channel is dedicated to helping individuals and families successfully recover from substance use disorders!
Thanks for your support 💜
Click Here 👇for Free Online Recovery Support Meetings 👇
Register for the next Family Recovery Workshop👉 https://bit.ly/frworkshoplink
👌All workshops are eligible for CEU’s and are recommended for counselors and therapists seeking to gain more knowledge about addiction recovery.👌 Email me for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org
GET FREE STUFF 👇
Get my Free 🎁 “INCREASING JOY MEDITATION” HERE https://bit.ly/inceasejoy
Get my Free 🎁 “PEACEFUL PLACE MEDITATION” HERE 👉 http://bit.ly/peacefulplace
Get my Free 🎁 “RELAPSE PREVENTION EBOOK” HERE 👉 http://bit.ly/rpfreeebook
🎁 Click here for my book “The Warrior’s Guide to Successful Sobriety @ bit.ly/wgssbook
Say Hi 🖐 on Social Media:
👌 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/drkjfoster/
👌 Twitter: https://twitter.com/drkjfoster
👌 Instagram: http://instagram.com/drkjfoster
If you are, or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call a local emergency telephone number or go immediately to the nearest emergency room. Information provided on this channel is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice and is not intended to replace the services of a therapist, physician, or other qualified professional, nor does it constitute a therapist-client or physician or quasi-physician relationship. You should not use information on this website or the information on links or products from or featured on this site (including any of my books) or the content on my YouTube channel (or any part thereof) to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified provider.
#alcohol abuse #alcoholism #drug abuse #drug addiction